2 new oil fantasies, and an update
October 20, 2012
Right now I’m working on another painting of the lilies, it is much juicier and is moving in the general direction I want to go. It is quite rough when you look up close, but holds very well as a realistic painting from further away. And there is more attention paid to the paint surface rather than just trying to get the objects right.
After a long period of working quietly on my own projects, my professional life is becoming active again. Here’s what’s up, and some of them will merit a separate post later on:
- My book, Chocolate Rain will be published in German!
- I’m also in negotiation with a Dutch publisher about the Dutch language rights, and if it works out with them, the book will be out in Dutch as well. If not with the present one, I really feel it is only a matter of time before some publisher here picks it up.
- John Killick’s wonderful new book is out, Playfulness and Dementia, a Practice Guide, Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
I’ll be reviewing it here before too long.I have a chapter in it.
- I’ve been invited to take part in a symposium on art and dementia in Newcastle UK in November as one of 11 practising professionals in the field. This is sponsored by several organisations including National Association of Writers in Education, and ArtWorks, a 3 year project on participatory arts in Britain.
- When I’m in England for the conference, I’ll be speaking to Susanne Burns, the project director of ArtWorks, exploring ways I can work with participatory arts here in Holland.
- Once in a blue moon I accept a straight up calligraphy commission, this is a diploma for my friend Brother Hugo who will be taking his vows as an officially certified religious recluse in the Roman Catholic church.
- In the works- restoration of a 100 year old sundial in a heritage garden here locally. Another lettering job in collaboration with colleague, painter Ties de Vries.
Meanwhile I have a nice full group of oil pastel and drawing students here at home once a week.
One unfulfilled wish of mine is a course space here, but for now the dining room and part of the living room will have to do.